21 September 2011

Day 11 - Chipping Norton to Shepton Mallet

What a ridiculously hard day!

Weather was fine with no real wind to speak of yet my plan to have shorter routes an go via the scenic roads at the end of the challenge appears to have backfired. I must admit that I do not know this part of the world at all so my plans were purely based on using small roads that headed in the right direction. Whilst progress as far as Cirencester went ok, beyond that it was an unrelenting 40 odd miles of constant 20%+ gradient hills. Not too big individually but very steep and narrow often on broken roads covered with loose gravel (to ensure that the decents were slow as well). Progress was incredibly slow and the shear number of them quite simply drained all the the energy out of me and turning the final corner into the campsite couldn't have come quick enough. It was a stunning descent off the hills down I to the city (?) of Wells. The mist was forming, I could see the spire of the cathedral with the Glastonbury hills and Tor in the background. I think the decent was 4-5miles without pedalling and ending up at the foot of the cathedral. A stunning highlight in an otherwise tortuous day.

Today has made me wonder if it's not the routes that are so hard (today's definitely was though, but the previous couple of days have been harder than expected as well) and that actually this just simply tiredness creeping in from having done 1100 miles in the past 11 days without any break to try and recover. I think I need to adjust the route planning for tomorrow to stay more on the main roads and avoid the type of hideous climbs I had today, but also to try and save some strength for the Oakhampton to Truro leg that's coming up soon.

At the moment that has more climbing than any other leg and is still 90 miles long. I'm doing that leg and then final one with my friend Andy so I'll have a chat and see if we can find an alternative. Whatever it ends up being, if we want to avoid the dual carriageways there are only lots of small roads and lots and lots of hills.

Only two counties to go now. I can't wait.

Rich

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone


Location:Just outside Shepton Mallett

5 comments:

  1. You're entering my favourite part of the country - I hope you find a way to enjoy it!
    Keep pedalling...

    All the best
    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sun is shining here this morning so I hope it is in that lovely part of the country that you are cycling today.....should be some lovely scenery but if I remember rightly its a bit hilly too :( hope its a good one x Yeah Devon!!!!! Kimx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you have a good day today mate. I'll have another look at your route later, and i'm sure we can come up with something between us. Laters! Andy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rich. Just wanted to say that what you are doing is amazing. You have an amazing amount of strength to cope with what you are enduring and I'm so pleased that you are nearing the end. I hope that my bro doesn't slow you down as you reach the finishing line!! Take care. x

    ReplyDelete