18 September 2011

Day 8 - Lincoln to Beccles

Wow, what a difference good weather makes. It's been sunny all day (I've even caught the sun on my face) and almost no wind whatsoever which has meant the progress, whilst initially a bit slow whilst the knee got itself sorted soon turned into a full blown TT-style run down the main road that links Sleaford and Kings Lynn. The road is incredibly busy and on another trip should be avoided but with 135miles to get through today the fastest route has to take precidence. Fortunately the entire road is in excellent condition and with a hard shoulder that's perfect for staying out of the way of flying cars and HGVs. After Kings Lynn the b-road I took was also in great condition and also completely flat. I managed go get the first 100miles done in about 6.5hours Which is phenomenally fast considering the immense weight of the bike and panniers. The last 35 miles however changed into twisty, hilly roads that made progress painstakingly slow finally I reached the end after about 10 hours and just before it started raining.

A good day I'd say and probably the closest the I can say that I've "enjoyed". The other days have been so arduous that it's really been a case of getting your head down and getting to the end, but today was different.

Tomorrow will tick off the most easterly point before I then ride back to Cambridge to my mum and dad's house where I'll also get to see Amanda and Kieran for the first time for a week and a half. I can't wait.

So there are no more nights in tents anymore which should certainly make things more pleasant and I also stand some chance of getting my kit dry if it's wet and getting a good nights sleep.

Assuming the weather for tomorrow is the same as today it should be a good one.

Rich





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
Location:Beccles

4 comments:

  1. So glad the sun finally shone for you.Im hoping you stick to your planned route tomorrow.will be checking your whereabouts when I get home from work and if you are in the vicinity then I shall get my bike out and come and find you!!!!!!glad you finally will get to see amanda and kieran as i am sure they have missed you terribly.....good luck if I dont catch you Kim x

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're looking forward to seeing you too. Safe travelling, we're so proud of you. All our love x x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. well done, you were moving quick on the google map, one minute you were round by the wash, I popped out to the supermarket and you were in Norwich! glad you are enjoying it more now, the weather last week was pretty dire. have a great one and give Kieran a big kiss from Uncle Simon & Aunty Vanessa(jeez I have gone so soft in my old adage).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see the words "on another trip should be avoided ...2

    So you're already planing hte nbext one, eh?


    :-)

    Good going, Rich - You're definitely getting towards the final sections now!

    Cheers Nick

    ReplyDelete