19 September 2011

Day 9 - Beccles to Willingham

Another long day at 177km (110 miles) but I took in the most eastern point after about 25km. From there I headed west towards mum and dad's house in Willingham. I'd see Kieran and Amanda there for the first time in a week and a half. I'd also get to see Katie the campervan who will be our home for the next week!

The going was slow but steady. Travelling through Norfolk I realised I'd forgotten how hilly it can be. After that was Cambridgeshire, it's a lot flatter but the roads were busier and I was more exposed to the elements and the westerly headwind which had been present all day was magnified in the latter stages.

I had a huge motivation boost at the Cambridgeshire border where a lady appeared in the middle of the road and started photographing me. It was my cousins wife Kim. She had also made a banner which she had put below the welcome to Cambridgeshire sign yesterday in case she couldn't be there today. Thanks Kim it was great to see you, it really spurred me on to complete the day. I'll post some photos up if I can.

All in all a long slog but good day. The weather held up and my knees were ok (started off painful but that soon disappeared) . The longest stages are done now and it feels good to be looking ahead to slightly shorter days in the saddle and the end is almost in sight. Tomorrow should be straight forward. It's reasonably long at 97 miles but puts me at the start of the Cotswolds for the push down to the South West.


Rich




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

4 comments:

  1. "the loneliness of the long-distance cyclist" is over now, Rich. Jo and I are enjoying watching "the head" traverse its way acrooss the country...
    Enjoy that camper van and being back with your family at the end of the day!
    Cheers
    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just thought...


    ...when you go through Brackley today, you'll be at your closest point to Farnborough!

    Now isn't that something to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mate you are a legend. cant believe the distance you are getting through. I feel so lazy looking at your head crossing the uk on that little map.glad your knees are holding up now.

    on ya bike!

    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are very welcome...was gutted that I couldnt get the bike out and come with you but was still great to see you.....I hope that they had the flags out for you in Willingham as well!!!!!! We are very jealous of the fact that you now have a campervan for accomodation you will probably get a better nights sleep!!!!keep peddling x Kim x

    ReplyDelete